I look forward to Thanksgiving every year. I always have, even when I was a child. I love that we have a holiday set aside to think about all the things we are thankful for. I love that this holiday is founded on an actual feast (since I love food!), and that it represented a positive event in our nation's history when English settlers and Native Americans worked together for the common good. I view Thanksgiving as a stand alone, worthwhile holiday instead of merely a placeholder between Halloween and Christmas.
But it seems that I'm in the minority on this one, seeing the way stores rush from Halloween decorations straight to Christmas trees, and hearing Christmas jingles and holiday shopping commercials on TV & radio before we've even had a chance to prepare for Thanksgiving. What's with the rush? Is it all about the money? Will we eventually gloss over Thanksgiving altogether in the mad dash to get ready for Christmas earlier and earlier each season?
It really makes me sad to see so little respect for Thanksgiving. If there's any holiday we need in our lightning-fast society it's one that makes us slow down, reflect, and remember all the things we have to be grateful for. It's a wonderful piece of our nation's history that I hope doesn't get fast-forwarded for the sake of getting a jump on buying Christmas presents.
Well, enough of my frustrations...I'm greatly anticipating the day itself and looking forward to making granny's noodles and some pecan pie...and taking some time out to think about all the ways my husband and I have been blessed, as well as looking back on those things that were pretty difficult, but helped shape who we are today. In fact, maybe I'll blog about what I learn/am reminded of from the day, and to balance that, maybe I'll add some pics of the pie :)
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, I hope it's a peaceful day for all!
Easy Tunic Toddler Dress (with mini tutorial)
11 years ago
