Thursday, June 4, 2009

Remembering SheRa


Wow, I didn't realize it had been almost 6 weeks between posts! A lot's been going on here, unfortunately not all good. The biggest event recently was having to put our sweet dog down over Memorial Day weekend.

She'd been suffering for over a week, and the vets had no idea how to help her...all we could do was watch her throw up everything that went into her stomach and lose weight; she wasn't able to keep anything down.

It was pretty tough & emotionally exhausting watching our little sweetie starve in front of us. After X-rays & ultrasounds and still no ideas from the vet on what to do to save her, we chose to put her down. She had lost a lot of weight and was in pain, and it wasn't fair to make her suffer any longer.

We stayed by her side when she got the tranquilizer & final injection, so her last memories were of being held & petted by us before she went down, which probably helped us more than it did SheRa.

My husband and I were both wrecks when we took her in, crying at the vet's office, and not doing a very good job of feigning composure. We really lost it after we left the vet and had a really tough first full weekend without her that weekend. We're doing better now, nearly two weeks later, but we still miss her! God willing, we'll adopt another cattle-dog mix in a few months, but we need some time to recover from losing SheRa first.

Otherwise, life must go on, with work, cooking, friends, etc. I did take the time to put together a photo album of SheRa, and that helped quite a bit. Just doing normal life-things helps a lot, too. Like making from-scratch strawberry cupcakes (I pureed strawberries for the batter--my first puree ever!) And tending my wildflower garden and the potted, mixed flowers.

My husband and I still take neighborhood walks, now without SheRa, because I value the time with him. I do feel a little silly walking without her, though I never feel silly walking dogless anywhere else.

I've attached one of our last pics of SheRa before she got sick. I randomly felt the need to take a bunch of pics of her about a month before she got sick, before she had any noticeable health problems, and am so glad I did.

Next time, hopefully I'll have more positive and enjoyable things to share, and hopefully won't have 6 weeks between posts!
Thanks for reading...