Friday, January 16, 2009

Reflections...

After cooling down from not having electricity the other day, (and rereading my blog post from that day!) I realized what I wrote wasn't completely what I meant to convey, so I'll try again now that I'm not so aggravated :)

I don't think I mind the Wii (though I did read about several ruined TVs from broken wrist straps when the wiimote goes flying!) so much as the fact that it is such an exclusive activity, or at least, that it doesn't allow for much communication/conversation. Sometimes people just want to do something fast-paced & mindless (I like Zuma a little too much!) but I guess what I was thinking about while at the party was that it was our only alternative for interaction and that leaves a lot of people out.

I really value playing games that allow for group interaction, games that let you get to know the people you're playing with a little better, even if you're playing with people you think you know everything about. There's just so much to gain from the conversations that happen during those games.

I LOVE card games, too, but it was always a social event in my family, not a "Don't disturb my concentration by talking!" kind of thing. There was lots of table talk and teasing, and we had a lot of fun. If it's all serious and focused, I don't know; that just doesn't seem as fun to me.

Sometimes I think I should've been born in an earlier decade (like 1900--I think I would've enjoyed being a flapper in the 20s!) when people were more connected, knew (and actually enjoyed) their neighbors, and cars were invented :) Though I'd've missed out on My Little Ponies, Choose Your Own Adventure books, Say Anything, and learning BASIC on a trusty Apple IIe.

Anyway, enough mind travel for today! It's almost the weekend, and I plan on having fun and not thinking so much :)

Thanks for reading!