Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Promises and Cooking Love

I promise I will post a couple of extra pics by Jan. 4th! We really are trying to get better about taking more pictures, since we normally take 6 months to go through a roll of film, or about 6 months to take 24 digital pics. The funny thing is, I like taking pictures, and love trying to get that perfect shot, framing my pictures just right, and going for intriguing colors/patterns. I just don't do it very often. :(

After writing my last triumphant post, I am back in the trenches of holiday reality, realizing that just because I have all my shopping done, it doesn't mean things are any calmer!!

I think things will calm down the week of Christmas, but in the two weeks until Christmas Eve, we've got a whirlwind of events, cooking, wrapping, etc. to get done.

BUT, I'm looking forward, once again, to the holiday cooking. :) I think with the extra time I'll have on Christmas Eve, I'm going to try to make a French Onion Soup recipe I found in the Joy of Cooking. I love this soup, so if I can make it at home, watch out! We'll be doing the standard green bean casserole, but adding my grandma's recipe for party potatoes to our dinner, and I'm currently looking through my recipes for a good dessert or two.

I have to confess that this year I'm remembering how much I really enjoy cooking. I used to love it, and something--I'm not sure what--happened after college to take away that joy; but lately I'm starting to make desserts and bake again. I even find myself looking for and trying new recipes once more, and dusting off some of my favorite old recipes. I'm actually enjoying the physicality of the prep work and am taking pride in my finished creations. That hasn't happened for a while. :)

In fact, I just made my second Yogurt Apple Pie last night (which I'd never attempted before) since my husband loved the first one so much. That's also super-encouraging, to know my husband is enjoying my enjoyment of cooking, too!

Phew, that's a lot of cooking talk for one entry.

So, thanks for reading!