Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools

Ah, April Fool's Day...I've never been a prankster (I always feel bad for people when they get tricked!) so I've never gotten all that excited over this "holiday".

I did get excited about successfully making an "Italian tart" last night, though, using some fresh strawberries and a springform pan. When I first got my springform pan set, I wondered if I'd have any use for them aside from cheesecake, but they've actually come in handy on a couple of non-cheesecake occasions now. Of course, there's no picture again, but at least I thought about it this time! I wasn't sure what to expect, but the crust rose up to about 3 inches and is similar to a scone in texture, but moister and not as dense, with a nice cinnamony, slightly sweet flavor that goes well with the strawberries. Absolutely delicious and it only took about 15 minutes to put together!

I've also been thinking about how our weaknesses (like my silly hypochondria) humble us, and (hopefully) help us have empathy for other people's weaknesses. I think that's at least partially the point of those parts of our lives that aren't quite what we want them to be...keeping us humble and open to others whose lives are less than perfect, too. I just think that's so powerful, to offer someone else the hope of positive change in their lives, knowing they can be more than what they are right now because we have changed, are changing, hope to change. That the way it is now doesn't have to be the way it is in the future.

So, all that from thinking about how desolate our lives and relationships would be if no one ever had the courage to share the embarrassing parts of themselves with others!

Right now, I'm watching thick, violent snowflakes forcing their way downward at blinding angles and not looking forward to the commute home, which could easily take an hour (or more) in this weather instead of the usual thirty minutes. These aren't the "Oh, aren't those pretty?" kind of flakes. These are the just dumped 1/2 an inch of themselves everywhere in 1/2 an hour kind of snowflakes.

Another random post, but thanks for reading :)